Tanya's Blog

My life as I know it.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Orange Muffins

Lately I have been craving some orange muffins. The only way I can find them locally is in the mini-mixed muffin crate w/ poppy seed muffins and blueberry muffins. But this doesn't satisfy me b/c I want only orange muffins. Not the other flavors too. I really like the fresh ones you can buy in the bakery but I haven't seen any orange muffins in the bakeries around here. So I think I might have to resort to making my own. Eeek!! So here are a few of the top recipes I found online. I think I might have to make each of the recipes to find out which is best.


Sticky Orange Muffins

2 oranges
1/4 C. honey
2 C. flour
1/2 C. uncooked oatmeal (not instant)
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 C. milk
5 1/2 T. butter, melted

Grease a 12-cup muffin tin. Grate the rind from the oranges (orange
part only). Set aside. With a small sharp knife, remove all remaining
peel and, if necessary, trim the oranges all around so that the slices
will fit into the bottom of your muffin tin cups. Cut into slices
about 1/4-inch thick. Pick out all seeds. Place about 1 teaspoon honey
in bottom of each muffin cup. Top each with an orange slice.

In a large mixer bowl, combine flour, oatmeal, baking powder, salt and
sugar. Stir with a fork to mix. Add grated orange rind, eggs, milk and
melted butter. Stir just until mixed.

Spoon batter over orange slices, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Bake
at 400° F. for 15 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center
of a muffin comes out clean. Serve warm.



Orange Muffins Recipe

Yield: 1 dozen

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup golden raisins


Instructions:
Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl, make a well in center
of mixture. Combine egg, milk, orange rind, orange juice, and oil,
mixing well, add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
Stir in raisins. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling 2/3
full. Bake 400 degrees for 20 minutes.


Strawberry-Orange Muffins

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 cup milk (skim OK)
* 1/2 cup sour cream (fat-free OK)
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
* 1 cup thinly sliced strawberries
* About 1/3 cup strawberry jam

PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter standard muffin forms.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and soda, and
salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, milk, sour cream, oil,
egg and orange zest until mixed.

Place a spoonful of batter in each prepared muffin cup. Top each with
a scant teaspoon of strawberry jam. Spoon the remaining batter over
the jam, filling each cup about two-thirds full.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out
clean, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool in tins for 5 minutes.

Makes 12 standard-sized muffins.



Tiny Orange Muffins Recipe
Bread


Ingredients:
1 c butter or margarine
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 t baking soda
1 c buttermilk
2 c flour
Grated rind of 2 oranges
1/2 c golden raisins
Juice of 2 oranges
1 c brown sugar

Directions:
In large bowl of electric mixer, cream together butter or margarine
and sugar; add eggs and beat until well mixed. Dissolve the baking
soda in the buttermilk; add buttermilk mixture alternately with the
flour to egg mixture. Add orange rind and raisins. Fill well-buttered
tiny tarts tins three-quarters full and bake at 400 degrees 15
minutes.Remove from tins immediately and keep warm on serving plate.
In small bowl, mix orange juice and brown sugar and pour a teaspoonful
of the mixture over each warm muffin. Serve warm. Makes 48 tiny
muffins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home